2/4/17: Living the Best Life We Can Live
One of most famous lists in the world was originally written by the finger of God. The Ten Commandments are first unveiled to us in the book of Exodus. We read that they were given to Moses up on Mount Sinai. Exodus 31:18 says, “And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God” (KJV). And then later in the book, Exodus 32:15 -16 says, “And Moses turned, and went down from the mount, and the two tables of the testimony were in his hand: the tables were written on both their sides; on the one side and on the other were they written. And the tables were the work of God, and the writing was the writing of God, graven upon the tables” (KJV).
God trusted men to be His secretaries (of sorts) to write down His words in all the rest of the Bible, so how important must this list have been for God to write it Himself? He really wanted us to know His will so He made these commandments quite plain. From Exodus chapter 20, let’s review:
- You must not have any other god but me.
- You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind or an image of anything in the heavens or on the earth or in the sea. You must not bow down to them or worship them…
- You must not misuse the name of the LORD your God. The LORD will not let you go unpunished if you misuse his name.
- Remember to observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
- Honor your father and mother. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the LORD your God is giving you.
- You must not murder.
- You must not commit adultery.
- You must not steal.
- You must not testify falsely against your neighbor.
- You must not covet your neighbor’s house. You must not covet your neighbor’s wife, male or female servant, ox or donkey, or anything else that belongs to your neighbor.” (NLT)
Years later, during Jesus’ life, He broke these ten down to two: love God – Commandments 1-4 – and love your neighbor – Commandments 5-10. (See Matthew 22:37-40.) What a blessing to know that God cared enough about us to let us know exactly how to please Him. And when we please Him, that’s living the best life we can live.
©2017 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Join the movement!
- 366 Glimpses of God: Getting to Know the God Who Knows You.
- Start every day of your new year with one of these thoughtful devotional readings that will focus your attention on our amazing heavenly Father.
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: