I love it when I have a day off of work. I love it even more when that day off of work does not include work I have to do before I return to work the next day. In other words, it’s an absolute joy when I can simply rest.
We don’t get enough rest. We’re all busily running around, trying to either keep up, or catch up, or make up, or get ahead. Perhaps this makes us legitimately a part of the human “race.” We forget that even God put a premium on rest. After all the work of creation was finished, “on the seventh day God ended His work… and He rested… and sanctified [the seventh day], because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made” (Genesis 2:1-3 NKJ).
Jesus followed up with this “rest” theme when people were trying to figure out exactly who He was. As He traveled teaching and preaching throughout the disciples’ cities early in His ministry (see Matthew 11:1), He identified Himself saying that “all things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father” (Matthew 11:27). He goes on to attach this knowledge of the Father to the idea of rest. He says, “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28). What do we find when we go to Jesus? We find God. And when we find God, we find rest.
I think my day of rest will consist of eating something I really enjoy, watching some home decor TV shows, rearranging my sock drawer, and maybe even taking a nap. I’ll be in better shape for the Kingdom work I need to do tomorrow. What will you do to rest? Let’s bask more often in the physical refreshment to be experienced as we walk through this life resting with God the Father, thanks to God the Son, and in the power of God the Holy Spirit.
©2017 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Join the movement!
- 366 Glimpses of God: Getting to Know the God Who Knows You.
- Start every day of your new year with one of these thoughtful devotional readings that will focus your attention on our amazing heavenly Father.
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: