1/17/16: Accurate Information
I had an opportunity to speak with members of a women’s book club regarding my book Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame. After a lovely lunch and some small talk, we got down to the business at hand of discussing the book. I answered the opening question about my initial inspiration to write the book, and then one of the women asked me about some points I had made in one of the chapters. As I prefaced each of my comments with, “Well, the Bible says…,” I noticed that several of the women were not only quiet, but seemed a bit distant. Soon the reason was disclosed.
Very politely, one of the women said, “I don’t want to offend you, but I stopped reading the book at page 42.” You see, page 42 lays out the Gospel truth that all religions do not lead to the same God. The book states:
- No matter what name is on the marquee, churches that teach the fundamental truths of the Bible, acknowledging first and foremost the deity of Jesus Christ, are leading their parishioners to the God of Christianity. However, any religion not willing to assert that Jesus Christ is God – and the coming to Him in faith for eternal life – is not leading its followers to the same God we serve.
A discussion ensued about the veracity of the Bible, the identity of the person of Jesus Christ, and the existence of absolute truth. The question was asked, “How can you say that this viewpoint is “right” and all other religions in the world are “wrong”?
Again, I pointed to Jesus’ own words. I answered, “In John 14:6, Jesus Christ Himself asserted, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.’ By saying this, either Jesus is lying, He’s a lunatic, or He actually is the Lord stating the truth about Himself. And we are responsible regarding what we do with that truth.”
That comment forced the next retort. “How can you judge everyone in the world like that?”
My heart was racing now because I realized I was literally on the battlefield for which my book instructed me to suit up. I relished the conversation because I knew that in the armor, I could confidently wield the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God, and know that each strike would make its point.
My answer was that there’s a difference between “judgment” and “stating a fact.” I could confidently and unapologetically say that Jesus Christ is the only way to God because that is a fact stated in the Bible. If we believe the Bible to be true, we have to believe all of it. We can’t pick and choose the parts we like – the parts that hold no consequence – and toss out the parts that make us uncomfortable or require us to change. By stating what the Bible says, I am not judging. If people feel judged or criticized, it’s God’s word that’s doing the judging.
People probably will be defensive at first when they hear the truth of the Gospel clearly proclaimed. John 3:19-20 says, “And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed” (NKJ). However, don’t be scared to share the truth of the Word of God, but do so gently and lovingly. Peter instructs us to have Christ so set apart in our hearts that at any and every moment we should “always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks [us] to give the reason for the hope that [we] have. But do this with gentleness and respect” First Peter3:15(NIV).
Eternity hangs in the balance. Give out accurate information about God.
©2017 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Join the movement!
- 366 Glimpses of God: Getting to Know the God Who Knows You.
- Start every day of your new year with one of these thoughtful devotional readings that will focus your attention on our amazing heavenly Father.
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: