12/31/16: Don’t Play God Cheap
We really do need to take God more seriously. He’s the creator and sustainer of the universe, the One who holds our very breath in His hands, yet we sometimes function as if He has no say in the decisions we make. In Old Testament times, even though He spoke His will to people directly and through the prophets, most of His people refused to listen. The Israelites went about doing their own thing, worshipping the gods of the nations they were supposed to have overthrown. Regardless of the warnings God sent, they shunned Him. Then when God removed His hand of blessing and they felt some suffering, they cried for relief from the very God they had so easily ignored.
Over and over, God forgave and restored; yet, over and over, the people went right back to their old, sinful ways. Finally, even God had had enough. Zechariah 7:13 says, “Therefore it happened, that just as He proclaimed and they would not hear, so they called out and I would not listen,” says the LORD of hosts (NKJ). God went on to scatter them and let their pleasant land become desolate.
Take a warning. Today God continues to speak to us and let us know His will. Hebrews 1:1-2 tells us, “God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds” (NKJ). Let’s not make the same mistake our Old Testament predecessors made. If we expect God to continue to listen to us, we need to continuously listen to Him. Don’t play God cheap.
©2016 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Get Sharon’s newest book, 366 Glimpses of God: Getting to Know the God Who Knows You. Start every day of your new year with one of these thoughtful devotional readings that will focus your attention on our amazing heavenly Father.
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: