10/1/16: Mentioning You
One of the great pleasures we have as believers is the delight of talking with God. Our times with Him ought to be the cornerstone of our days, as natural as breathing. In that same vane, part of those talks should be spent in conversation with Him about others. Abraham haggled with God for the life of Lot before the Sodom and Gomorrah incident; Moses reasoned with God about sparing the lives of the children of Israel after the golden calf debacle; and Mary and Martha called to their friend Jesus for Him to do something about Lazarus, their dying brother. Even Jesus prayed for us (see John 17).
Paul says of the Ephesians, “Therefore I… do not cease to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers…” Ephesians 1:15-16 (NKJ). But what exactly did Paul pray about when he mentioned these believers? Did he pray for their health and wealth? Did he ask God to change their attitudes and get them out of trouble? No, Paul prayed:
- “…that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened…” (vss. 17 – 18a)
- “… that you may know what is the hope of His calling…” (vs. 18b)
- “… (that you may know) what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints…” (vs. 18c)
- “…and (that you may know) what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe…” (vs. 19a)
We’re in good company when we pray for others. Who do we make mention of when we approach God’s throne and what do we pray about for them? If we intercede for others as Paul did, we’ll certainly cover all their actual needs. If God gives them a spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him so that the eyes of their understanding are opened, they will comprehend God’s majesty. If they know the hope of His calling, they will put themselves in line with God’s plan for them. If they understand the inheritance of which they are heirs, they will rise above worry about their present condition. And if they know His power, they will ascend to a new level of trust in God.
Our loved ones have it made when they know God, have hope, understand who they are in Christ, and rely on His power. Perhaps we should adopt these verses – Ephesians 1:15-19 – as part of our prayer time when we are making mention of others in our dialogues with the Master. Couldn’t hurt.
Mission Trip Update! 9 days to go! I can really still use your financial donations. Gifts you now send between today and when we leave are still necessary for personal expenses and gift books. Since I was not able to raise enough money to ship a large number of books for all the ladies who will attend the women’s conferences, I will pack as many Power Suit books as possible (to meet the weight restrictions) to give to pastor’s wives and the women at the television stations in Kenya and Zambia; and I’ll take as many Why I Get Into Trouble children’s books and I’ll figure out a way to distribute them.
The trip has been narrowed down to KENYA and ZAMBIA! I’ve seen the proof of the posters that will be passed out and the billboards that will be placed throughout the cities. I will be teaching at the Leader’s Seminars, encouraging the ladies at the Women’s Seminars, and preaching at the evening crusades. People travel all over the world every day, but it’s my first time and I’m pinching myself being sure it’s all actually real! Thank you in advance! You can give three ways:
- Via Paypal through my ministry website: http://www.lifethatmatters.net. Click “Donate.” [Remember that Paypal charges a 3-4% fee on my end.]
- By check sent to my post office box: P.O. Box 1519, Inglewood, CA 90308
- Via Paypal through the HSBN.tv website. (Be sure to let the network know your donation is for Rev. Sharon Elliott’s Africa trip.)
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: