9/29/16: On Holding Hands
I love holding hands. There’s something special about the touch of someone you love. I can recall reaching for my children’s hands as we crossed a street or walked through a crowded store. It’s also a fond memory for me to think about them reaching for my hand when they wanted comfort or they just wanted to be sure I was close enough to reach.
Nowadays, those children are out of the house, living on their own, and I rarely see them in person, much less get the opportunity to hold their hands. The most special hand-holding I get to do now is with my husband. He’s not much of a hand-holder, but I love to hold his hand. If we are standing together in church, he reaches for my hand when we pray. My husband’s hands are strong. He used them to work to provide a wonderful, comfortable home for us; He used them to fix things and discipline the children; and he uses them both to love and protect me. Whenever he holds my hand as we pray, I also realize how his hands symbolize his leadership and guidance to follow God.
All these hand-holding thoughts flooded my mind and heart this morning as I read, “I, the Lord, have called You in righteousness, and will hold Your hand,” Isaiah 42:6a (NKJ). At first, I took this personally, as if God were talking to me. Then I realized that the pronoun “you” in the passage is capitalized. God is speaking here to Jesus. He goes on to tell Jesus, “…I will keep You and give You as a covenant to the people, as a light to the Gentiles, to open blind eyes, to bring out prisoners from the prison, those who sit in darkness from the prison house” Isaiah 42:6b-7 (NKJ).
After reading the context, I thought, Shucks, this verse isn’t about God holding my hand. Then I remembered I had 65 other books in the Bible, filled with verses about God. Surely there must be something that talked about God holding my hand. Check out these verses:
- Psalm 73:23 “Nevertheless I am continually with You; you hold me by my right hand” (NKJ).
- Psalm 37:23-24 “If the LORD delights in a man’s way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand” (NIV).
- Psalm 63:8 “My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me” (NIV).
- Isaiah 41:10 “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand” (NIV).
- Isaiah 41:13 “For I, the LORD your God, will hold your right hand, saying to you, ‘Fear not, I will help you” (NKJ).
As wonderful as it is for me to hold my husband’s and children’s hands, it’s even more wonderful to know that God holds my hand. God’s hand assures us of His presence, His guidance, His protection, and His provision. We’re secure, stable, strengthened, and sure because God holds our hand and holds us in His. We’re in good hands when we’re in God’s hands.
Mission Trip Update! 11 days to go! I can really still use your financial donations. Gifts you now send between today and when we leave are still necessary for personal expenses and gift books. Since I was not able to raise enough money to ship a large number of books for all the ladies who will attend the women’s conferences, I will pack as many Power Suit books as possible (to meet the weight restrictions) to give to pastor’s wives and the women at the television stations in Kenya and Zambia; and I’ll take as many Why I Get Into Trouble children’s books and I’ll figure out a way to distribute them.
The trip has been narrowed down to KENYA and ZAMBIA! I’ve seen the proof of the posters that will be passed out and the billboards that will be placed throughout the cities. I will be teaching at the Leader’s Seminars, encouraging the ladies at the Women’s Seminars, and preaching at the evening crusades. People travel all over the world every day, but it’s my first time and I’m pinching myself being sure it’s all actually real! Thank you in advance! You can give three ways:
- Via Paypal through my ministry website: http://www.lifethatmatters.net. Click “Donate.” [Remember that Paypal charges a 3-4% fee on my end.]
- By check sent to my post office box: P.O. Box 1519, Inglewood, CA 90308
- Via Paypal through the HSBN.tv website. (Be sure to let the network know your donation is for Rev. Sharon Elliott’s Africa trip.)
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: