9/5/16: Serious About Witnessing
How serious are we about witnessing? I know, that’s a word that is plagued by a negative connotation. When we think of those involved in witnessing, we think of folks knocking on our front door, Bibles in hand, trying to convert us to follow a set of strict and strange religious principles. However, that’s not what witnessing is all about. The word is “Christian-eze” and it simply means “telling others the good news about Jesus.”
So let me ask the question again: How serious are we about telling others the good news about Jesus? We hold back for many reasons:
- We’re not sure how the message will be received.
- We don’t want to make others uncomfortable.
- We aren’t quite sure what to say.
- We don’t think we know enough; what if people ask questions?
- Our lives aren’t lining up with the message we wish to share.
Whatever our reasons, at the end of the day, we can’t get away from the fact that witnessing is important and we should be serious about it. People need the Lord.
When Paul was taken to Rome, he lived under guard, but had the freedom to receive guests. After only his first three days there, he called the leaders of the Jews to meet with him. When they gathered, “…he explained and solemnly testified of the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus from both the Law of Moses and the Prophets, from morning till evening. And some were persuaded by the things which were spoken, and some disbelieved” Acts 28:23-24 (NKJ).
Paul was serious about witnessing regardless of the reactions of the listeners. Are we that serious? When in the presence of new people, how long does it take before the conversation shifts and we find ourselves sharing the wonderful good news of Jesus? Is the scent of Jesus so heavily upon us that everyone who rubs against us leaves with something of His scent on them as well? Take a chapter from the Paul-book-of-witnessing: explain and solemnly testify of the kingdom of God, persuading people concerning Jesus. People need the Lord.
Mission Trip Update! 35 days to go! NOW THERE’S A $1,000.00 MATCHING GRANT! All donations sent between September 1 – September 26 will be matched up to $1,000.00. That means you’ll actually be helping with double the amount you send! I still need $1,800.00 – $2,300.00 for the hotels, food, visas, etc. Please do not hesitate. I really need your financial donations now. Donations so far have covered my air travel and my vaccinations.
The trip has been narrowed down to KENYA and ZAMBIA! I’ve seen the proof of the posters that will be passed out and the billboards that will be placed throughout the cities. I will be teaching at the Leader’s Seminars, encouraging the ladies at the Women’s Seminars, and preaching at the evening crusades. People travel all over the world every day, but it’s my first time and I’m pinching myself being sure it’s all actually real! Thank you in advance! You can give three ways:
- Via Paypal through my ministry website: http://www.lifethatmatters.net. Click “Donate.” [Remember that Paypal charges a 3-4% fee on my end.]
- By check sent to my post office box: P.O. Box 1519, Inglewood, CA 90308
- Via Paypal through the HSBN.tv website. (Be sure to let the network know your donation is for Rev. Sharon Elliott’s Africa trip.)
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: