9/4/16: No, Lord
Whenever we disobey God, we tell him, “No, Lord.” When the Word says, “Love your neighbor” and we treat our neighbor badly, we are saying, “No, Lord.” When Jesus says, “Come to Me, lay your burdens on Me, and I will give you rest,” and we decide to try to handle things on our own, we are saying, “No, Lord. When Jesus says, “I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but by me,” and we insist upon reaching for God some other way, we are saying, “No, Lord.” When the Bible says, “Don’t have sex before marriage, obey your parents, pay your tithes, stop lying, stop cursing, etc,” and we keep participating in these activities, we are shouting, “No, Lord.”
We know all the above things are pretty bad, but the disciple Peter seemed to take saying no to the Lord to a whole new level. After making one of the most important proclamations in all of Scripture (“You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16), just six verses later, he turns around and says, “No, Lord.” And this “no” seems even worse than ours; Peter’s no pertains to Jesus’ mission and identity. Matthew 16:21-22 detail this point:
- From that time Jesus began to show to His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised the third day. Then Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, saying, “Far be it from You, Lord; this shall not happen to You!” Matt 16:21-22 (NKJ).
You see, if Peter had had his way – if Jesus had listened to one of the disciples He had with Him the most – Jesus wouldn’t have gone to the Cross. Peter’s “no” denied Jesus’ mission and identity. Terrible.
But wait; aren’t our “no’s” doing the same thing? Jesus is the Sovereign God with every right to tell us, His children, what to do. Saying “no” in disobedience denies Him His position as sovereign Lord of our lives; therefore, our “no’s” deny Him of His identity. Additionally, Jesus’ mission is now carried out through us, His children. Saying “no” in disobedience keeps Him from fulfilling whatever mission He has to do through us.
Jesus’ response to our “no’s” are the same as His response was to Peter. “Jesus turned and said to Peter, ‘Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men.’” Matthew 16:23 (NIV).
Let’s not receive that rebuke. Let’s say, “Yes, Lord.”
Mission Trip Update! 36 days to go! NOW THERE’S A $1,000.00 MATCHING GRANT! All donations sent between September 1 – September 26 will be matched up to $1,000.00. That means you’ll actually be helping with double the amount you send! I still need $1,800.00 – $2,300.00 for the hotels, food, visas, etc. Please do not hesitate. I really need your financial donations now. Donations so far have covered my air travel and my vaccinations.
The trip has been narrowed down to KENYA and ZAMBIA! I’ve seen the proof of the posters that will be passed out and the billboards that will be placed throughout the cities. I will be teaching at the Leader’s Seminars, encouraging the ladies at the Women’s Seminars, and preaching at the evening crusades. People travel all over the world every day, but it’s my first time and I’m pinching myself being sure it’s all actually real! Thank you in advance! You can give three ways:
- Via Paypal through my ministry website: http://www.lifethatmatters.net. Click “Donate.” [Remember that Paypal charges a 3-4% fee on my end.]
- By check sent to my post office box: P.O. Box 1519, Inglewood, CA 90308
- Via Paypal through the HSBN.tv website. (Be sure to let the network know your donation is for Rev. Sharon Elliott’s Africa trip.)
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: