9/1/16: Push Through
There’s a term in long distance running called “hitting the wall.” According to The Phrase Finder on the internet, runners “hit a wall” at the point in the race when they are exhausted and in pain. However, if they keep running, they can push past that point and get a second wind or feel energized again, enough to go on and finish the race.
Sometimes in Christian work we hit a wall. We just get tired. We are trying so hard and caring so much, but none of it seems to be paying off. One thing after another just keeps happening. We look around and only see bleakness in our situation; there’s no light at the end of the tunnel. Ecclesiastes 11:4 says, “He who observes the wind will not sow, and he who regards the clouds will not reap” (NKJ). Like the despairing one described here, our hearts are crying out, What’s the use?
If you’re at a place like that this morning, I encourage you to read the next verses of the aforementioned passage. It goes on to say, “As you do not know what is the way of the wind, or how the bones grow in the womb of her who is with child, so you do not know the works of God who makes everything. In the morning sow your seed, and in the evening do not withhold your hand; for you do not know which will prosper, either this or that, or whether both alike will be good” Ecclesiastes 11:5-6 (NKJ). If you’ve hit the wall, remember God hasn’t. He’s neither exhausted nor fed up. He’s up to something on your behalf. Keep working. Sow your seed. You don’t know which project God intends to bless; maybe this one, maybe that one, maybe both. Push through.
The New Testament says it this way: Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9 (NIV)
©2016 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com.
Mission Trip Update! 39 days to go! The trip has been narrowed down to KENYA and ZAMBIA! I’ve seen the proof of the posters that will be passed out and the billboards that will be placed throughout the cities. I will be teaching at the Leader’s Seminars, encouraging the ladies at the Women’s Seminars, and preaching at the nightly crusades. People travel all over the world every day, but it’s my first time and I’m pinching myself being sure it’s all actually real! Unless I receive a huge influx of donations in the next few days (by the end of August), I unfortunately won’t be able to take any books for the women and children. Donations so far have covered my air travel and my vaccinations. I still need $1,800.00 for the hotels, food, visas, and some spending money. Please do not hesitate. I really need your financial donations now. Thank you in advance! Click this link: to go to the full request. You can give three ways:
- Via Paypal through my ministry website: http://www.lifethatmatters.net. Click “Donate.” [Remember that Paypal charges a 3-4% fee on my end.]
- By check sent to my post office box: P.O. Box 1519, Inglewood, CA 90308
- Via Paypal through the HSBN.tv website. (Be sure to let the network know your donation is for Rev. Sharon Elliott’s Africa trip.)
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: