8/30/16: Work and Profit
We think of profit in terms of money. Most businesses are all about the profit and loss statement. We are used to measuring success by dollar amounts; the more dollars, the more success. After all, we won’t stay in business in the natural world if we are not bringing in the bucks to keep everything running. The catch 22 of all of this though is that usually as the success bar rises, so does the need for more money. For example, if a service business run by two people is operated with excellence, more people will want the service, which means the business will make more money. But two people can’t keep up with all the demand for work. So the business needs to hire a third person which means that additional income must now be used as salary for the new person.
God’s word gives us a balanced perspective on labor and profit. Ecclesiastes 3:9-11 and 22 says, “What profit has the worker from that in which he labors? I have seen the God-given task with which the sons of men are to be occupied. He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts… So I perceived that nothing is better than that a man should rejoice in his own works, for that is his heritage…” (NKJ).
You see, when we are doing our God-given task, everything is beautiful in God’s time and we can enjoy the work of our hands. God will so engineer the circumstances that labor and profit will balance and our work will be so beautiful that it will live on even after we are gone to Glory. It’s only as we engage in the tasks God gives that we can be assured of a beautiful end. That present enjoyment and the beautiful end of a lasting legacy is our profit.
Let’s take some time today to evaluate our work. Are we operating in the job description God has given, or are we spinning our wheels in labor never intended for us? We’ll take this all to the Lord in prayer and allow Him to rearrange our schedule, leaving on our plate only those tasks He has assigned. Then I’m sure we’ll watch in amazement how relaxed we’ll become and how we’ll begin to supremely enjoy our work and see the profit of it.
©2016 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com.
Mission Trip Update! 41 days to go! The trip has been narrowed down to KENYA and ZAMBIA! I’ve seen the proof of the posters that will be passed out and the billboards that will be placed throughout the cities. I will be teaching at the Leader’s Seminars, encouraging the ladies at the Women’s Seminars, and preaching at the nightly crusades. People travel all over the world every day, but it’s my first time and I’m pinching myself being sure it’s all actually real! Unless I receive a huge influx of donations in the next few days (by the end of August), I unfortunately won’t be able to take any books for the women and children. Donations so far have covered my air travel and my vaccinations. I still need $2,300.00 for the hotels, food, visas, and some spending money. Please do not hesitate. I really need your financial donations now. Thank you in advance! Click this link: to go to the full request. You can give three ways:
- Via Paypal through my ministry website: http://www.lifethatmatters.net. Click “Donate.” [Remember that Paypal charges a 3-4% fee on my end.]
- By check sent to my post office box: P.O. Box 1519, Inglewood, CA 90308
- Via Paypal through the HSBN.tv website. (Be sure to let the network know your donation is for Rev. Sharon Elliott’s Africa trip.)
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: