8/27/16: The Task God Has Given
“And I set my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all that is done under heaven; this burdensome task God has given to the sons of man, by which they may be exercised” Ecclesiastes 1:13 (NKJ).
When I think of exercise, I think of strenuous workouts including running, sit-ups, push-ups, jumping jacks, and strength training. My mind sees images of stair-steppers, treadmills, bicycles, and free weights. I envision sweating, sore muscles, and a rapidly beating heart. However, as I look past all of this, I see myself in better health, with more energy, moving about in a toned body, and living longer.
Solomon was the wisest man ever to live on the planet because God gave him the wisdom he asked for. However, God didn’t just plunk into Solomon’s heart all the wisdom he would ever need. Solomon obtained it progressively as he continually turned his heart toward God in the search. So when Solomon began to ponder about the task God has given to us humans while on this earth, I think he was onto something as he realized that God was “exercising” us.
It may be a hassle to think about always having to work for a living, but our toil is God’s way of building our muscles, both physically and spiritually. As we work, we may sweat and strain, but we should also be relying on God to get us through it. Our work and our reliance together build spiritual muscle. Our hearts toward God get stronger; our vision of Him more clear.
Let’s look at work a little differently today. Let’s see it as a God-ordained workout that is leading to a healthier spiritual life.
Mission Trip Update! ZAMBIA AND OTHER SOUTH AFRICAN NATIONS, here I come! I started getting the necessary vaccinations for the trip and all that medication is really expensive. Our team will be purchasing our airfare soon. Then the next money due will be for our hotels, food, and visas. Finally, I want to take books for the women who attend the Power Suit Women’s Conferences. Please do not hesitate. I really need your financial donations now. Thank you in advance! Click this link: to go to the full request. You can give three ways:
- Via Paypal through my ministry website: http://www.lifethatmatters.net (Click “Donate”)
- By check sent to my post office box: P.O. Box 1519, Inglewood, CA 90308
- Via Paypal through the HSBN.tv website. (Be sure to let the network know your donation is for Rev. Sharon Elliott.)
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: