7/28/16: What Messing Up Gets Us
My brother Nick has a saying: “Never challenge worse.” Ever since I heard him make that proclamation years ago, I’ve come to understand it to be true. We get ourselves into messes and keep making poor decisions based on the belief that things can’t go more wrong than they are already going. Not true. Things can always take a turn for the worse.
- If I’m neglecting to do my homework and skating by with D’s, what could be worse? I could end up actually failing classes and missing graduation.
- If I’m not feeling 100% but I’m taking my vitamins and thinking my health will just naturally get better over time, what could be worse? I could find myself facing a preventable illness turned critical because I refused to get my annual check-ups.
- If I’m allowing my children’s wild behavior to go unchecked figuring they’re just going through a phase, what could be worse? That unchecked teen could very well turn into an unchecked adult; unable to master his/her own behavior and thereby become a detriment to society.
Yes, if we refuse to check our own behavior, things could get worse. The remnant of the children of Israel found that out when they were allowed to return to Jerusalem to rebuild the wall of the temple. After the job was done, they did some reflecting.
“Here we are, servants today! And the land that You gave to our fathers, to eat its fruit and its bounty, here we are, servants in it! And it yields much increase to the kings you have set over us, because of our sins; also they have dominion over our bodies and our cattle at their pleasure; and we are in great distress” Nehemiah 9:36-37 (NKJ).
What an eye-opening experience it must have been to look around and find themselves servants in a land that should have belonged to them. They were slaves under tribute watching their enemies enjoy the abundance of the land – abundance that should have been theirs alone to enjoy.
That’s what messing up gets us. First Timothy 6:17 tells us that God “…richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment” (NIV), but we can mess that up. If we don’t follow God’s precepts and commandments, we could end up watching our enemies enjoying the blessings that should have been ours. Let’s not let that happen. Love God; live by the Word; enjoy His blessings.
©2016 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Mission Trip Update! ZAMBIA AND OTHER SOUTH AFRICAN NATIONS, here I come! I started getting the necessary vaccinations for the trip and all that medication is really expensive. Our team will be purchasing our airfare soon. Then the next money due will be for our hotels, food, and visas. Finally, I want to take books for the women who attend the Power Suit Women’s Conferences. Please do not hesitate. I really need your financial donations now. Thank you in advance! Click this link: to go to the full request. You can give three ways:
- Via Paypal through my ministry website: http://www.lifethatmatters.net (Click “Donate”)
- By check sent to my post office box: P.O. Box 1519, Inglewood, CA 90308
- Via Paypal through the HSBN.tv website. (Be sure to let the network know your donation is for Rev. Sharon Elliott.)
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: