7/14/16: A Woman’s Influence
We read in Second Chronicles about two women who exerted negative influence upon several of the kings of Judah. Second Chronicles 21:6 tells us that Jehoram “… walked in the way of the kings of Israel, just as the house of Ahab had done, for he had the daughter of Ahab as a wife; and he did evil in the sight of the LORD” (NKJ). After Jehoram died, his youngest son, Ahaziah took his place and Second Chronicles 2 – 3 lets us know that he “was forty-two years old when he became king, and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Athaliah the granddaughter of Omri. He also walked in the ways of the house of Ahab, for his mother advised him to do wickedly” (NKJ).
These kings were grown men, yet they were still mightily influenced by women – one by his wife, the other by his mother. In these cases, these men in leadership positions were led in the total wrong direction and their actions destroyed both their positions and their lives.
Napoleon Bonaparte said, “The future destiny of a child is always the work of the mother.” One of America’s most revered presidents, Abraham Lincoln, remarked, “All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother.” Author Ralph Waldo Emerson believed, “A man’s wife has more power over him than the state has.” And British politician Harold Macmillan understood and declared, “No man succeeds without a good woman behind him. Wife or mother, if it is both, he is twice blessed indeed.”
No one is downplaying the importance of men; we just happen to be focusing on the importance of women today. So women, be aware of the mighty influence we can wield over the lives of our husbands and our children. Determine to be a catalyst for God and for good in their lives. Single men, be aware today of the tremendous importance of sensibly choosing a wise wife and of wisely sorting through your mother’s advice. Married men, attend to the wisdom of your wife, the sage advice of your mother, and your reliance on God to know when what they are saying is right or wrong.
I’m going to Africa! Mission Trip Update! ZAMBIA AND UGANDA, here I come! Preparations are in full swing. I started getting the necessary vaccinations for the trip. All that medication is really expensive. Please sow a financial donation into my upcoming mission trip. Thank you in advance! Click this link: to go to the full request with instructions on how to give toward this amazing ministry opportunity! You can give three ways:
- Via Paypal through my ministry website: http://www.lifethatmatters.net (Click “Donate”)
- By check sent to my post office box: P.O. Box 1519, Inglewood, CA 90308
©2016 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: