7/5/16: Warning Signs
The yellow light on the traffic signal means, “Watch out, the light is going to turn red soon and you will have to stop.” Many of us don’t see that yellow light as a warning to slow down, but as an opportunity to make it through the intersection more quickly, thus keeping our forward progress to our destination unhindered. We may even gun our motor and blow our horn, brazenly announcing, “It’s still my right-of-way; I’m coming through!”
Well technically, it is your right-of-way to go until the red light shines, actually signaling for you to stop. However, all right-of-ways aren’t necessarily good for you to take. For example, King Solomon was doing great. He asked God for wisdom to rule the people, and God was so pleased with his humility, that He made him not only the wisest man who ever lived, but the richest. Solomon even fulfilled all that his father David left him to do by building a magnificent temple to the Lord. He had the right to get married, but he didn’t heed God’s warning signs in this area of his life. In essence, he honked his horn and told God, “It’s my right-of-way; I’m coming through.” Look at 2 Chronicles 8:11:
- “Now Solomon brought the daughter of Pharaoh up from the City of David to the house he had built for her, for he said, “My wife shall not dwell in the house of David king of Israel, because the places to which the ark of the LORD has come are holy.” (NKJ)
Solomon obviously knew he was treading on thin ice if he felt uncomfortable about bringing his wife to the place where he worshipped his God. In fact, God had clearly warned all the Israelite men against intermarrying with foreign women, not out of a prejudice, but because God knew the women would turn the men’s hearts away from Him and to foreign gods.* And sure enough, First Kings 11:1-10 tells us the sad case of how Solomon totally lost his way by marrying many foreign women, building temples for his wives’ gods, and worshipping with them as well.
When we take one baby step outside of the will of God, we tread onto a slippery slope from which, if we’re not careful, there may be no return. You are no match for sin. You cannot dabble around its edges and not expect to be caught up. There is truth in old sayings; that’s why they’ve stuck around for so long. Here are four that apply today:
- Nip things in the bud.
- You can’t expect to play with fire and not get burnt.
- Every generation will learn that the stove is hot.
- You will come to believe that fat meat is greasy.
More seriously, consider First Corinthians 6:12, “All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any” (NKJ). Instead of insisting upon your rights, heed God’s warnings – His yellow lights. Slow down, stop, consider His directions, then proceed only on the “green lights” of His perfect will for you.
* We know God didn’t mind interracial marriage, look at the examples of Moses and his wife, Ruth (a Moabitess) and Boaz, and Rehab (the former harlot of Jericho) and her Isrealite husband. All these women, though, first accepted God and forsook their idols before marrying a man of God.
I’m going to Africa! Mission Trip Update! ZAMBIA AND UGANDA, here I come! Preparations are in full swing. I started getting the necessary vaccinations for the trip. All that medication is really expensive. Please sow a financial donation into my upcoming mission trip. Thank you in advance! Click this link: to go to the full request with instructions on how to give toward this amazing ministry opportunity! You can give three ways:
- Via Paypal through my ministry website: http://www.lifethatmatters.net (Click “Donate”)
- By check sent to my post office box: P.O. Box 1519, Inglewood, CA 90308
©2016 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: