6/18/16: Look At Us
Sometimes we may want to be incognito Christians. We just want to live our lives with the least amount of turmoil possible. We will do nice things when we know we should and quietly shun evil. That’s all well and good – at times. To avoid being braggadocios, the Scriptures do tell us “But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly” Matthew 6:3-4 (NKJ). However, all things must be done in balance, and there were times throughout Scripture when the occasion called for attention.
In Acts chapter 3, we read of a handicapped man who begged daily at the Beautiful gate of the temple. Everyone who frequented that area knew him and most probably gave alms to him regularly. On the particular day mentioned in this passage, Peter and John arrived at the temple at the hour of prayer. The lame man asked Peter and John for alms just as he asked every other person who passed by. We take up the narrative at verse 4:
- And fixing his eyes on him, with John, Peter said, “Look at us.” So he gave them his attention, expecting to receive something from them. Then Peter said, “Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk” Acts 3:4-6 (NKJ).
Peter and John didn’t have what that man was asking for, but they had what that man needed. They didn’t just throw money at the problem. They brought attention to themselves (“Look at us”), spoke boldly, and willingly gave the man what they possessed – the truth and power of the Word of God in the name of Jesus Christ.
We are charged to do the same thing. We have the truth and power of the Word of God within us. We can give that Word to others in the name of Jesus Christ. Are friends having marital problems? We don’t have money to throw at their problem, but we have the Word which says, “Husbands love your wives and wives be in submission to your own husbands.” Are our children disobedient? Throwing money at them in the form of more “stuff” isn’t the answer, but we have the Word which says, “Children, obey your parents in the Lord for this is right, and this is the first Commandment with a promise.” Is someone in a financial slump? Rather than throwing money at the symptom, help to solve the problem with the Word which says, “Stop robbing God of the tithe. Bring all the tithe into the storehouse and see if God will not open the windows of heaven and pour out a blessing that there will not be room enough to receive.”
God’s Word speaks to every need that handicaps mankind. When confronted with the issues that are crippling those around us, we must remember what we have – the truth of the Word and the power of the name of the Lord Jesus. Step up, speak up, and start your speech by saying, “Look at us. Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth…” Then take that person by the hand and watch the miracle God will do.
Africa Trip Update! NEW LOCATION – Our team is going to Zambia and possibly several other African nations. Please sow a financial donation into my upcoming mission trip. Every dime you send will be used for the trip. Thank you in advance! Click this link: to go to the full request with instructions on how to give toward this amazing ministry opportunity! You can give three ways:
- Via Paypal through my ministry website: http://www.lifethatmatters.net
- Via The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network cite: http://www.hsbn.tv
- By check sent to my post office box: P.O. Box 1519, Inglewood, CA 90308
©2016 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: