5/27/16: Open Your Eyes
One of the joys of my teaching career has been watching young people transform from squirrelly freshmen to mature seniors. At the end of each school year, we afford our seniors the opportunity to give some words of wisdom to the underclassmen. Inevitably, the speeches turn out to be don’t-do-what-I-did diatribes about the wisdom of staying focused and the evils of procrastination. Their experiences have opened their eyes and as they near graduation, most “see the light” of the wisdom we’ve preached to them for four years.
Yet and still, even though they’ve seen the struggles some seniors have faced, and witnessed the accolades being heaped upon those who buckled down, some of those underclassmen still won’t get the message. And like those underclassmen, the Pharisees continued to debate the healing of the man who had been born blind. The evidence was plainly observable. In response, the man answered them, “Whether He is a sinner or not I do not know. One thing I know: that though I was blind, now I see” John 9:25 (NKJ). Later, Jesus met the previously-blind man and told him, “For judgment I have come into this world, that those who do not see may see, and that those who see may be made blind” John 9:39 (NKJ).
Our underclassmen and the Pharisees had one thing in common: they couldn’t admit that they were blind. Is that our issue today? Do we “see” so much that we’re actually blind to the truth God is trying to show us? Are we shaking our heads over some problem thinking, “I just don’t see it”? Perhaps we need to take a step back in some area today and humbly ask God, “Please heal my blindness; help me to “see.” We’ll be pleasantly surprised by the vistas God can open once we yield our vision to Him.
Africa Trip Update! NEW LOCATION – Our team is now going to Zambia and Uganda. Please sow a financial donation into my upcoming mission trip. Every dime you send will be used for the trip. Thank you in advance! Click this link: to go to the full request with instructions on how to give toward this amazing ministry opportunity! You can give three ways:
- Via Paypal through my ministry website: http://www.lifethatmatters.net
- Via The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network cite: http://www.hsbn.tv
- By check sent to my post office box: P.O. Box 1519, Inglewood, CA 90308
©2016 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: