5/23/16: What Have You Gotten Into Now?
Immediately following the miracle when Jesus fed 5,000 people with a little boy’s lunch, He left for some alone time at the mountain. We take up the narrative in John chapter six when His disciples, seemingly tired of waiting, took off in a boat without Him.
- “Now when evening came, His disciples went down to the sea, got into the boat, and went over the sea toward Capernaum. And it was already dark, and Jesus had not come to them. Then the sea arose because a great wind was blowing. So when they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus walking on the sea and drawing near the boat; and they were afraid. But He said to them, ‘It is I; do not be afraid.’ Then they willingly received Him into the boat, and immediately the boat was at the land where they were going” John 6:16-21 (NKJ).
How like us these disciples were! How often do we get tired of waiting for Jesus and decide to take things into our own hands? We wait, it gets dark, and still no word from Jesus. So what do we do? We strike out on our own. We get into relationship boats, business deal boats, and debt boats. As the storms arise around our boats, we do exactly what the disciples did – we row like crazy, making three or even four more decisions that do nothing but take us deeper into the tempest. Like the disciples, we never even think of Jesus; after all, we are well aware that we’re the ones who left Him behind.
Ahh, but the Savior has a trick up His sleeve. He can walk on water (and why not, He created it)! Even without being asked, Jesus went to the disciples in their distress. The storm which was causing the disciples so much anguish was the very thing Jesus stepped on to get to them in order to rescue them.
My mother used to ask, “Just what have you gotten yourself into now?” What “boat” are you in today? Hebrews 13:8 tells us, “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever” (NKJ). Our wonderful Lord still walks on water. Even though you have gotten yourself into a mess, you left the Lord behind, and you’ve continued to make decisions that have only sent you farther “out to sea,” I challenge you to look up. Jesus is coming to you, walking right on top of madness.
Now continue to be like the disciples at the end of the story: willingly receive Jesus into your boat. That’s right, let Him step smack dab into the middle of the mess. You will find He will immediately take you to where you are supposed to be.
Africa Trip Update! NEW LOCATION – Our team is now going to Zambia and Uganda. Please sow a financial donation into my upcoming mission trip. Every dime you send will be used for the trip. Thank you in advance! Click this link: to go to the full request with instructions on how to give toward this amazing ministry opportunity! You can give three ways:
- Via Paypal through my ministry website: http://www.lifethatmatters.net
- Via The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network cite: http://www.hsbn.tv
- By check sent to my post office box: P.O. Box 1519, Inglewood, CA 90308
©2016 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: