5/1/16: God’s Ideas About Raising Kids
My book, Raising Boys to be like Jesus, is all about allowing Jesus to be the ultimate role model in the lives of our boys. Early in the book I say, “Remember, the first words of Proverbs 22:6 are stated to parents emphatically. ‘Train up a child…’ The training of your son is your primary responsibility and duty. What better tracking device of your progress as a successful parent can there be but to watch your son’s development as he stands inch-for-inch measuring up to the growth chart that mirrors the life of Christ?”
In Judges chapter 13, we read of Manoah and his wife, a barren Israelite couple. The Angel of the Lord (the pre-incarnate Jesus Himself) physically visited with them and told them they would have a child who would deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines. Of course, they were shocked and amazed by this news, but Manoah kept his head about him enough to ask, “Now let Your words come to pass! What will be the boy’s rule of life, and his work?” Judges 13:12 (NKJ)
Just as Manoah knew that without divine instruction and assistance, he was inadequate to raise a son destined for great ministry; so we must understand the same thing. Each child entrusted to our care is a precious gift from God for whom He has big plans. We must ask God every day for His guidance in raising them. But let’s remember: there’s a wide gulf between asking God a question and following through on His answer. Once we receive God’s guidance, we must be submissive to Him and actually parent our children as He says we should. For example:
- Don’t leave them to govern themselves: “The rod of correction imparts wisdom, but a child left to himself disgraces his mother” Proverbs 29:15 (NIV),
- Teach them the value of work: “He who gathers crops in summer is a wise son, but he who sleeps during harvest is a disgraceful son” Proverbs 10:5 (NIV), and
- Fathers should especially be involved in diligently training them in all areas of life: “Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord” Ephesians 6:4 (NIV).
Let’s not trust our own instincts, society’s dictates, nor even “how we were raised” when it comes to parenting. Let’s look first and foremost to God’s word, guidance, and assistance in raising children who will do great exploits for the Kingdom.
Africa Trip Update! Please sow a financial donation into my upcoming mission trip. Every dime you send will be used for the trip. Thank you in advance! Click this link: to go to the full request with instructions on how to give toward this amazing ministry opportunity! You can give three ways:
- Via Paypal through my ministry website: http://www.lifethatmatters.net
- Via The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network cite: http://www.hsbn.tv
- By check sent to my post office box: P.O. Box 1519, Inglewood, CA 90308
©2016 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: