4/29/16: On the Worth of Words
We’ve heard it said that talk is cheap; yet, the Bible says, “Like apples of gold in settings of silver is a word spoken in right circumstances” Proverbs 25:11 (NAS). The Message Bible translates that verse like this, “The right word at the right time is like a custom-made piece of jewelry.” And The King James version calls that word “a word fitly spoken.” Any way you size it up, the Bible is saying that knowing how to use the right words at the right time goes a long way.
Jesus was our master example of how to use just the right words at just the right times. In Luke chapter 20, Jesus uses a parable to counter a confrontation by the chief priests, scribes, and elders. Their indignation was so hot afterwards that they could hardly contain themselves. Luke 20:19-20 shows their reaction, “And the chief priests and the scribes that very hour sought to lay hands on Him… for they knew that He had spoken this parable against them. So they watched Him, and sent spies who pretended to be righteous, that they might seize on His words…” (NKJ)
Notice how Jesus’ enemies sought to catch Him – by His words. Isn’t it ironic that the Word of God (that’s who Jesus is) would be accused by His words? They actually sought to destroy the Word of God because of words. Well, how successful were they? Luke 20:26 tells us, “But they could not catch Him in His words in the presence of the people. And they marveled at His answer and kept silent” (NKJ).
The enemies of our faith will seek to destroy us by our words too. After all, we are going around touting that we know God, we love Jesus, the Lord is the head of our lives, and the Savior lives in our hearts. Okay then, how do you answer the accusers? What do you say to the critics? How do you counter the naysayers? Let’s take the following verses of Scripture with us today as we consider our words:
- Colossians 4:6 – Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one. (NKJ)
- 1 Peter 3:15 – But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear. (NKJ)
Now face the day with this prayer in your heart: “Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer” Psalm 19:14 (KJV).
Africa Trip Update! Please sow a financial donation into my upcoming mission trip. Every dime you send will be used for the trip. Thank you in advance! Click this link: to go to the full request with instructions on how to give toward this amazing ministry opportunity! You can give three ways:
- Via Paypal through my ministry website: http://www.lifethatmatters.net
- Via The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network cite: http://www.hsbn.tv
- By check sent to my post office box: P.O. Box 1519, Inglewood, CA 90308
©2016 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: