4/14/16: Keep Your Head Up
Assemblies of God pastor, singer, and Gospel songwriter Ira Stanphill composed the words and music to the beautiful hymn “I Know Who Holds Tomorrow.” Enjoy the first verse and refrain here:
I don’t know about tomorrow,
I just live from day to day.
I don’t borrow from it’s sunshine,
For it’s skies may turn to gray.
I don’t worry o’er the future,
For I know what Jesus said,
And today I’ll walk beside Him,
For He knows what is ahead.
Many things about tomorrow,
I don’t seem to understand;
But I know Who holds tomorrow,
And I know Who holds my hand.
We don’t know what all Ira was going through, but just before he penned those words, I bet he had been reading Luke chapter 12 in which Jesus teaches about focus and priorities to a crowd who must have been worried and bothered about a lot of stuff. The takeaway message of this chapter is, “Hold your head up.” How can you accomplish that when so much is troubling you? First of all, focus on your value. Start by realizing you are of value to God. Luke 12:7 (NKJ) says, “But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.” And Luke 12:24 (NKJ) reads, “Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds?”
Second, prioritize what you seek. Jesus tells us in Luke 12:29-31 (NKJ), “And do not seek what you should eat or what you should drink, nor have an anxious mind. For all these things the nations of the world seek after, and your Father knows that you need these things. But seek the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added to you.” Here, Jesus basically tells us to stop trippin’. The fact that God is aware of our needs presupposes that He can and will do something about them. He’s not just up there in Heaven, forlornly shaking His head and wringing His hands saying, “My, my, my, look at all the trouble my child is going through. Sure hope she makes it.” No, God’s got your situation under total control.
So, if you feel out of control, let go of the wheel. Simply stop trying to have your hand in everything and be guided by God’s hand. Heads up; seek Him. He will take care of all of the rest.
Africa Trip Update! Please sow a financial donation into my upcoming mission trip. Every dime you send will be used for the trip. Thank you in advance! Click this link: to go to the full request with instructions on how to give toward this amazing ministry opportunity! You can give three ways:
- Via Paypal through my ministry website: http://www.lifethatmatters.net
- Via The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network cite: http://www.hsbn.tv
- By check sent to my post office box: P.O. Box 1519, Inglewood, CA 90308
©2016 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: