4/12/16: God Knows
Perhaps you had a mom like I had: one from whom nothing could be hidden. Momma just seemed to know when I needed a hug, when something was wrong, and especially when I had done something I had no business doing. It’s a Mommy-Sense that just seems to come with the territory of becoming a mom. And it’s a vitally essential intuition that helps develop our children’s all-important conscience – that inner voice by which they will self-regulate when they are away from us. I acquired it too once I had my sons, but I fortified my intuition by praying, “Lord, please let them get caught the first time,” so that no particular sin would become a habit in their lives.
Psalm 44:20-21 says, “If we had forgotten the name of our God, or stretched out our hands to a foreign god, would not God search this out? For He knows the secrets of the heart” (NKJ). In His omniscience, God knows everything we think, plan, and do. Not only does He know it, but He searches it out. He’s able to penetrate to the core of our real intent and expose it. He’s acutely aware when we forget His name by turning from Him to follow the foreign gods of our own lusts, our own greed, our own passions, and our own whims. He knows the secrets of the heart.
So we have two choices. We can continue to do our own thing at our own peril (“It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God” Hebrews 10:31, NKJ), or we can turn to God in true repentance and clean up our act. Try starting with really meaning each phrase of the prayer model Jesus taught to His disciples in Luke 11:2-4:
- “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name.” Is God’s name holy in your sight? Do you honor Him for the awesome God that He is?
- “Your kingdom come.” While Jesus was on earth, He frequently told the people, “The kingdom of Heaven is at hand.” He was referring to Himself. So is it truly your desire to see God’s kingdom come in your life? In other words, what are you doing about obeying Jesus, living for Jesus, and letting Jesus transform you?
- “Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” Are you seeking God’s will or your own?
- “Give us day by day our daily bread.” Are you satisfied with God’s provision? Are you caring for that which God has given you (time, talent, and treasure) as you should?
- “And forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who is indebted to us.” Are you harboring unforgiveness and bitterness toward anyone? If so, are you allowing that unforgiveness and bitterness to drive your thoughts and actions?
- “And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.” Are you even trying to avoid sin and stand against Satan?
God knows the secrets of our hearts. Let’s admit what He already knows, turn from our sinful ways, and begin to flourish in newness of life.
Africa Trip Update! Please sow a financial donation into my upcoming mission trip. Every dime you send will be used for the trip. Thank you in advance! Click this link: to go to the full request with instructions on how to give toward this amazing ministry opportunity! You can give three ways:
- Via Paypal through my ministry website: http://www.lifethatmatters.net
- Via The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network cite: http://www.hsbn.tv
- By check sent to my post office box: P.O. Box 1519, Inglewood, CA 90308
©2016 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: