3/23/16: God is Up to Something
We naturally realize that we do not start at the top. Our universe is designed in such a way as to teach us that reality:
- Plants grow by first sending roots down. Once we plant a seed in the ground, action begins, but we aren’t witnesses to it. We don’t see the development of the system that will sustain the vegetation because all we care about is the final product—that flower we can enjoy or that food we can eat.
- Each of us starts out as an infant, totally dependent upon another human being for survival. All things being equal, we grow and mature little by little every day until we reach adulthood.
- We go through school by starting at pre-school or kindergarten with the basics. Five and six-year-olds aren’t reading C.S. Lewis; they start out simply reading the “C” and the “S”.
- In business, we enter a company as a trainee. Even if we start our own company and name ourselves as CEO, we start out small, with what we can handle, and then build the business over time.
We need to carry that same understanding into our spiritual lives when we realize that God has plans to prosper us. He will not start us off at the top of where He wants to take us. There are wonderful parallels on this point in Deuteronomy chapters 7 and 8 with how God dealt with the children of Israel. When God is up to something:
- He will awaken our memory. Moses told the children of Israel, “…you shall remember well what the LORD your God did…” Deuteronomy 7:18 (NKJ). We must never forget where God has brought us from. That is the firm foundation of faith on which He is building us now.
- He will advance us little by little. Moses told the people, “And the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you little by little; you will be unable to destroy them at once, lest the beasts of the field become too numerous for you” Deuteronomy 7:22 (NKJ). God knows we have to learn how to handle success so He’ll give it to us bit by bit. In whatever field we’re in, there are beasts out there ready to devour us, so God orchestrates our climb to build our awareness and make us wise to the dangers around us as He elevates us.
- He will attract our attention. Remember the manna the children of Israel had to eat? God had more than simply feeding them in mind when He supplied it. Deuteronomy 8:3 tells us, “So He humbled you, allowed you to hunger, and fed you with manna which you did not know nor did your fathers know, that He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone; but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the LORD” (NKJ). God does not intend for us to get it twisted: we are on our way somewhere because He is making it possible. Moses reiterates this point with a look into the future. He tells the people that after gaining the land, living in beautiful houses, and experiencing incredible increase, they still must remain rooted by recall. “And you shall remember the LORD your God, for it is He who gives you power to get wealth, that He may establish His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day” Deuteronomy 8:18 (NKJ). We can never allow ourselves to forget that even our success is all about Him.
Get ready for your success, but keep focused on God’s advancement program. God is up to something.
©2016 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: