3/21/16: A Father’s Walk with God
There’s something to be said about a father who walks with God. Even a casual reading of the Scriptures leaves us with the understanding that God places a lot of stock in earthly fathers. God is our Heavenly Father, so all earthly fathers can imitate Him in how He fathers us. First of all, God claims us as His own, and because of that, He never runs out on us. He supplies our needs and even some of our wants. He loves and cares for our mothers and protects us from danger. He disciplines us when we’re wrong, comforts us when we’re sad or worried, takes care of us when we’re sick, rescues us when we’re in trouble, and provides for our future. Most of all, as we mature, God teaches us more and more about Himself, pouring Himself and His wisdom into us in an effort to help us live out His image that He placed in us by creation and re-birth.
An earthly father who walks with God will manifest God’s qualities as he deals with his children. Just like God, that father will:
” Claim his children as his own, and because of that, he will never run out on them (…For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” Hebrews 13:5 NKJ)
” Supply his children’s needs and even some of their wants (And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19 NKJ)
” Love and care for his children’s mother (When Jesus therefore saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing by, He said to His mother, “Woman, behold your son!” Then He said to the disciple, “Behold your mother!” And from that hour that disciple took her to his own home. John 19:26-27 NKJ)
” Protect his children from danger (God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1 NKJ)
” Discipline his children when they are wrong (… My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son. Hebrews 12:5-6 NIV)
” Comfort his children when they are sad or worried (When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul. Psalm 94:19 NIV)
” Take care of his children when they are sick (I have seen his ways, and will heal him; I will also lead him, and restore comforts to him and to his mourners. Isaiah 57:18 NKJ)
” Rescue his children when they are in trouble (He delivers and rescues and performs signs and wonders in heaven and on earth… Daniel 6:27 NAS) and (Praise be to the Lord, the God of Israel, because he has come and has redeemed his people. He has raised up a horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David… to rescue us from the hand of our enemies, and to enable us to serve him without fear in holiness and righteousness before him all our days. Luke 1:68-75 NIV)
” Provide for his children’s future (A good man leaves an inheritance for his children’s children… Proverbs 13:22a NIV)
Most of all, as we mature, an earthly father who walks with God will teach us more and more about himself, pouring himself and his wisdom into us in an effort to help us live out that image that God bore in us. God gave us to our specific earthly fathers for a reason. Our fathers have gifts, talents, and wisdom God intended for them to plant within us. This is why our fathers are so disappointed when we don’t listen. A father following God knows the job he has to do with his children and has only their welfare and best interest at heart when he tries to tell us something. A father who abdicates his position with his children robs them of something precious God intended them to get from him.
So what’s on our to-do list today?
1. Thank God for the father He gave you. That man gave you life.
2. If you have a father who is following God, listen to what he has to say and apply his wisdom to your situation.
3. If you have a father who does not follow God, pray for him. He is out of the will of God and that is dangerous.
4. If you have another man besides your biological father who has stepped up as a father to you, honor him verbally both to him and to others, and apply his wisdom to your situation.
5. If you are a father, God bless you. You have a tough job; one that can only be adequately done with God’s constant help. Be encouraged to know that God has enabled you with His presence and strength to carry out the task of being examples on earth of His relationship with us. We love you for the role you play in our lives.
©2016 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: