3/10/16: The Real GPS
My friend Sandi was scheduled to pick me up from the Baltimore/Washington airport when I arrived in town to conduct a seminar. As we were going over our last minute details on the phone the day before I left home, for some reason, I asked her if I needed to bring my portable GPS (global positioning system) to help us get from the airport to the conference center. I don’t know why I asked. Sandi lives in the area and had driven to the place before. Nevertheless, we casually agreed that it couldn’t hurt to have it. “Perhaps,” Sandi mused, “it may show us a shorter route.” With that idea in mind, I threw the little case in my suitcase as I packed.
Upon arrival at BWI, when I turned my cell phone on, I had a message from Sandi. Her car had broken down. She was at a gas station 30 minutes from the airport with no way to get to me. I was able to rent a car, click on the little GPS, type in the address where she was, and drive directly to her and then directly to the conference center with ease, just as if I had grown up in Maryland totally familiar with every twist and turn of the roadways. All I had to do was follow the directions calmly being given to me by the lady’s voice from the satellite. Even when road construction caused us to pass one off ramp, the satellite voice didn’t get excited or worried so neither did we. She calmly told us, “Recalculating route.” We just followed her new directions and made it to our destination just the same.
If only we’d follow the leading of the Lord that readily.
I believe I’m catching on. The “random” idea to ask about the GPS in the first place was indeed a prompting of the Holy Ghost. After all, He already knew I’d need it because He already knew Sandi’s car would break down. His “voice” is in those random ideas. He leads us as we walk through life. The nudge to “turn here,” or “book that particular flight,” or “mention this need,” or “pack that item:” all of these are God’s voice seeking to place us exactly where we need to be, or to provide for us exactly what we are going to need.
How do we get to the place of keen hearing? Start by following His simple spiritual GPS instructions found in Mark 11:34, “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me” (NKJ). As explained in Matthew Henry’s Commentary, these three simple turns will result in getting us where we want to be:
- Deny self: “live a life of self-denial, mortification, and contempt of the world… renounce all confidence in [yourself] and [your] own righteousness and strength…”
- Take up your cross: “conform [yourself] to the pattern of a crucified Jesus, and accommodate [yourself] to the will of God in all the afflictions [you] lie under”
- Follow Jesus: “attend on him, converse with him, receive instruction and reproof from him, as those did that followed him, and resolve [to] never forsake him.”
Let’s trust the GPS – God’s Positioning Statements. Following this, we’ll never go wrong.
©2016 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: