12/31/15: How to Connect with Life
It is impossible to come in contact with Christ and remain the same. Jesus started making a profound impact on people’s lives from the moment of the incarnation.
- Mary’s life was completely re-routed by Gabriel’s announcement, “And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name Jesus… The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God” Luke 1:28-35 (NKJ).
- Joseph started to receive revelations in the form of divine dreams that gave him direction.
- “…Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit” Matthew 1:20 (NKJ).
- “…Arise, take the young Child and His mother, flee to Egypt…” Matthew 2:13 (NKJ).
- “Arise, take the young Child and His mother, and go to the land of Israel…” Matthew 2:19-20 (NKJ).
- “But when he heard that Archelaus was reigning over Judea instead of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there. And being warned by God in a dream, he turned aside into the region of Galilee. And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, “He shall be called a Nazarene” Matthew 2:22-23 (NKJ).
- In the sixth month of her pregnancy, Elizabeth and her unborn baby felt Jesus enter the room when He was barely still developing His human body inside of Mary’s womb. The story reads, “Now Mary arose in those days and went into the hill country with haste, to a city of Judah, and entered the house of Zacharias and greeted Elizabeth. And it happened, when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, that the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. Then she spoke out with a loud voice and said, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! But why is this granted to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?” Luke 1:39-43 (NKJ).
- Simeon, a just and devout man full of the Holy Spirit, was waiting to see the Lord’s Christ and had been told by God he wouldn’t die until he did. He recognized the 8-day-old infant Savior when His parents took Him to the temple to be circumcised. Simeon took Jesus in his arms and proclaimed, “Lord, now You are letting Your servant depart in peace, according to Your word; For my eyes have seen Your salvation” Luke 2:29-30 (NKJ).
- On the heels of Simeon’s recognition of Jesus came Anna’s acknowledgement. Anna was an elderly prophetess “who did not depart from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day. And coming in that instant she gave thanks to the Lord, and spoke of Him to all those who looked for redemption in Jerusalem” Luke 2:36-38 (NKJ).
Mary saw the power of God to do miraculous things in her life. Joseph saw the direction of God to lead him in even the minutest of details. Elizabeth saw how the Holy Spirit can grant favor. Elizabeth’s yet unborn baby, John, saw the need to leap and praise God just because of His presence. Simeon saw God’s salvation. (Notice that salvation is not a thing but a Person.) And Anna saw that a lifetime of dedicated service is rewarded spectacularly because she was able to set her eyes upon the redemption of Jerusalem.
As we move into a new year, how will you connect with Jesus Christ?
- Perhaps like Mary, this will be the year for you to trust God and see Him do miraculous things in your life.
- Maybe like Joseph, it will be about time for you to follow God without question even in the smallest details.
- It may be that like Elizabeth, you will experience God’s amazing favor.
- Perchance like John, you will let loose in leaping and praising God just because of who He is and just to celebrate His presence.
- Quite likely, like Anna you’ll be able to sense His pleasure and reward for your lifetime of service as you “see” Him in new ways.
- Or possibly you’ll be like Simeon and come to know Him as Salvation itself.
In preparation for 2016, connect with that which is truly LIFE! Happy New Year!
©2015 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
ANNOUNCEMENT: Watch The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network’s new internet TV show Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv. (Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
Pick up a copy of Sharon’s newest release,
Why I Get Into Trouble as well as other favorites, Boomerangs to Arrows, and Power Suit
Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
(Boomerangs Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk )
Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)