6/24/15: Everybody Needs Somebody
King David experienced quite a journey as he traveled from the pasture to the palace. As the youngest son of Jesse, he wasn’t very highly regarded. In fact, when the prophet approached Jesse looking for the next king, Jesse didn’t even present David as a possibility until he was pressed to do so. After that, David spent years first serving Saul, the current king, and then running from him.
During the years in which David was waiting until God moved him into the leadership position, he traveled from place to place. It would have been extremely difficult for him to hold up and remain safe had he not had assistance. Thankfully, David had a band of mighty men who dedicated themselves to him. First Chronicles 11:10 says, “Now these were the heads of the mighty men whom David had, who strengthened themselves with him in his kingdom, with all Israel, to make him king, according to the word of the Lord concerning Israel” (NKJV). David needed mighty men around him who had dedicated themselves to him in order for him to reach his full potential. Their cause was his cause.
Everybody needs somebody. An old song said, “No man is an island.” Notice that David served before he was served. Many of us have dreams, goals, and a calling, but whose team have we joined to be of service to their cause? “Before honor is humility” (Proverbs 15:33b). Perhaps we are not advancing as quickly as we would like because we have not considered how to help advance someone else’s cause. And even when we pass the stage of wanting to reach yet another level of success, we can still be a tremendous blessing to someone else’s triumph. Ask yourself these questions:
- Whose dream, goal, or ministry do I believe in?
- What financial gift would be a blessing to that person today? (Write a check, put some cash into an envelope, go to that person’s website and put money into his/her account via the “Donate” button, donate a monthly amount for at least a year, or offer to pay a bill, etc.)
- How else can I support that person’s dream, goal, or ministry? (Offer to write some letters or send emails, write Amazon reviews for his/her books, attend his/her next event, volunteer time in his/her office, give of your company’s service at no charge, join his/her prayer team, etc.)
- Have I considered asking the person how he/she could most use assistance? (Whatever the answer, fulfill all or part of that desire.)
- If I were in that person’s position, what would I want someone to do for me?
As we commit ourselves to the callings of others, God will enlarge our territory. It’s called the law of reciprocity. Luke 6:38 says it this way, “Give, and it will be given to you. A good portion—packed down, firmly shaken, and overflowing—will fall into your lap. The portion you give will determine the portion you receive in return” (CEB). Let’s work together and get ministry done!
©2015 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
ANNOUNCEMENT: Watch The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network’s new internet TV show Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv. (Stream current show Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; or view past episodes anytime!)
Pick up a copy of Sharon’s newest release,
Why I Get Into Trouble as well as other favorites, Boomerangs to Arrows, and Power Suit
Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
(Boomerangs Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk )
Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)