The Ark of the Covenant represented the presence of God to both the Israelite people and their enemies. In I Samuel chapters 4 and 5, we read of a time when the Philistines captured the Ark, probably figuring having it would give them special powers to defeat their foes. After all, they had heard how the God of Israel had wrecked Egypt and many other nations. What the Philistines did not know was that it takes more than possession of the Ark to experience the protective presence of the God of the Ark. The presence of the Ark in that unholy place brought on God’s wrath and troubles to the Philistines.
We may own Bibles, wear cross jewelry, fly Easter and Christmas manners on our homes, and have our names on the church role, but all of that exhibits merely the trappings of Christianity. Without a relationship with God, one that makes a difference in our lives, sooner of later the trappings will trap us and show us up to be fakes. Troubles, not blessings, will come our way if we insist upon trying to represent God through unholy vessels. The trappings don’t make us related to Him.
©2019 Dr. Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv and on HSBN’s You Tube channel.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- 366 Glimpses of God: Getting to Know the God Who Knows You.
- Start every day of your new year with one of these thoughtful devotional readings that will focus your attention on our amazing heavenly Father.
- Pick up copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble: Order through Sharon’s website: http://www.LifeThatMatters.net
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame: Order through Sharon’s website: http://www.LifeThatMatters.net
Sharon’s other books still available: